Stephens volunteers her time to teach “Bicycle Friendly Drivers” in Lawrence on behalf of the Lawrence Bicycle Club. Based on a program developed by the City of Fort Collins, CO, the course briefs drivers of cars and other motorized vehicles about the rules of the road when they encounter bicyclists. The hour-long interactive class is “aimed at educating all drivers on the best and safest ways to share the road with people on bicycles.” Kirsten has incorporated photographs of Lawrence streets to help learners envision problem situations.
Many drivers are surprised to learn that:
- Bicyclists must follow the same rules of the road that cars and other vehicles do.
- Bicyclists can legally “take the lane” and ride in the middle of road.
- It’s okay for two bicyclists to ride side by side.
- Cars should stay at least three feet away from bicyclists.
- Many accidents occur when vehicle drivers making a right-hand turn don’t check for cyclists coming on their right.